As we head into the festive season, it can be easy to let go of the good exercise habits we’ve built throughout the year. But keeping active over this time can help to manage stress and to balance out the effect of any eating indulgences!
Even if time is short, there are plenty of ways to incorporate more activity into your day. And for some of us, this can be a time of the year where we have more time to exercise and can build in some activities that we don’t have time to enjoy during a busy work week.
Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Park further from the shops (you’ll be lucky to find a close spot anyway!) and take the stairs rather than the escalators when shopping.
- Rather than always catching up with friends or family over food, why not organise to meet for a walk, a hit of golf or some post-Christmas sale shopping instead.
- Organise a game of cricket or touch football with friends and family rather than sitting around after a big lunch.
- Take an evening walk with the kids to see the neighbourhood Christmas lights.
- Put on your favourite music and get a good workout cleaning the house in preparation for visitors. A few hours of strenuous housework will burn more energy than an hour at the gym and you’ll have the reward of a fabulous looking house at the end! Same goes for work outside and in the garden.
- Too hot to get out outside and be active? Head to your local pool or ice-skating rink instead.
- Have the day off? Drive to the beach for an early morning walk rather than your usual walk around the block.
- Take the kids to the Zoo – you’ll get plenty of walking and they will be entertained for hours.